Monday, March 28, 2022

The Trouble With AR-15 Triggers

Rarely a week goes by that one of my students, friends, or acquaintances from social media doesn't ask about some newfangledy AR trigger. "Hey, what do you think about the "Master Speed Blaster Ammo Spender" trigger? And it is typically one that I may or may not heard of. Right now the AR trigger market is full of contenders. If I go to Brownell's website right now and search for "AR-15 trigger," I am beset with 233 entries all vying for my attention. Now many of those entries are just parts or related items, but fully 50% of them are full on triggers of varying types and features.

Now I do understand wanting to swap out a stock trigger on your AR. The stock trigger on most ARs is definitely nothing to write home about, much less brag about to your colleagues. Most are pretty creepy, somewhat gritty feeling, and break somewhere between 6-9 lbs. None of these features will help you in the speed and accuracy department, much less the "I want to shoot rounds downrange as fast as humanly possible, pls send help?" department.

Side note, if you want a binary trigger, a forced reset trigger, or any sort of trigger, you should definitely have that trigger. Hell, the whole NFA got me down and I don't agree with any of it, so don't mistake what I'm writing as a "you shouldn't have this thing" post. My idea of gun control is if you want a belt fed machinegun and a tank to drive it around with, you should be able to have those things. But I digress....

The main reason I don't have much of an opinion on any of these new triggers is simply that I don't want to bother with them. I've played with a handful of aftermarket triggers, and with two exceptions, they were just too quirky. Some required all sorts of adjustments, which could walk, and would walk at the worst possible times. Some had so many moving parts that it scared me. Some were either way too light or way too short for me. (Not for you, just for me.)

Honestly, I've basically settled on Geissele (and also ALG, which is obviously Geissele under a different outfit) and LaRue triggers. Between those two, I've got at least 100,000 rounds downrange with absolutely no issues. They don't wear out, they don't lose adjustments, they just keep working. Occasional swap of the hammer spring seems to be about the only thing they need, and they rarely need that. Also, between those two brands, they offer a wide variety of trigger profiles, pull weights, and stages. There's likely something for most everybody in their offerings.

Did I mention that every single one of their triggers I have tried has been bulletproof and just keeps working?

So, if you're contacting me for trigger advice about the new hotness in the AR world, I'm likely not going to be of much help. For that I sincerely apologize, because I'd love to help you if I could. If you want to be boring like me and have a trigger that just keeps working, well, in that case, I have two recommendations...

-----------------------------------

Hey, check out my youtube channel, there's a lot more there. I realized a while back that most people don't read (well, except for you guys, and I thank you for that), and so I started spending most of my social media firepower over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Langdon Tactical HK P30

One of my good friends let me borrow his LTT tuned HK P30. I have never been the biggest fan of the P30, but it is certainly a decent gun. M...