Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Langdon Tactical HK P30

One of my good friends let me borrow his LTT tuned HK P30. I have never been the biggest fan of the P30, but it is certainly a decent gun. My objections to the gun weren't anything to do with accuracy, reliability, or durability. HK makes a good gun, no doubt. My general thoughts about the P30 were more akin to malaise. Of course, the P30s I had been playing with all had the traditional double action type trigger, ala DA/SA. HK does offer different trigger setups, including their LEM trigger, which is a DAO type setup. I had previously shot the LEM setup a handful of times, and while I didn't love it, I didn't find it objectionable either. It still sat squarely in the "meh" category, to borrow a term from our beloved Gen Z.

If you have spent much time in the firearms world, you're probably at least passingly familiar with Langdon Tactical. Ernest Langdon is a world class shooter, instructor, military veteran, and probably much more. In addition to those bonafides, he also works on guns, or at least did, as now I suspect that his company does more of the work than he actually lays hands on. None of this should be taken as an indictment, because his company turns out top notch stuff. A lot of the product that they turn out is centered on the Beretta product line, but that isn't the sum and total of their output.

I had no idea that they did work on the HK product line until Zach pinged me and asked me if I'd like to try out his LTT HK P30. I was certainly intrigued, and took him up on the offer.

This gun comes with all the usual stuff from HK, which is to say three 17 round magazines, multiple grip panel and back strap options, manual, cable lock, and case. In the case of this LTT version, it is optioned out with an optic and LTT's proprietary backup sight setup. 

I wasn't expecting a LEM trigger on it, and was initially unexcited, but when I dry fired it, I changed my mind. I don't know what the heck they do to the trigger, but it is light and easy. When I measured it with my trigger pull gauge, it measured 3.75 pounds. When I did it again, it broke exactly the same. Langdon puts a flat faced trigger in this amongst their other changes, and so it breaks very nicely and consistently. I was pleasantly surprised and this setup changed my mind about the LEM trigger setup.

There's also a pretty LTT logo on the slide now, so if you couldn't tell something was up with this gun from the other changes, that little logo lets you know that you're holding something special in your hands.

But that's a lot of pretty verbiage, the real question, how does it shoot? The answers are simple words, things like easily, flat, and fast. Between the LTT trigger and the configurability of the grip, getting this gun to run well is like a cheat code on a video game. How so? Well when you put in the cheat code, everything is just easy and effortless, and this gun feels like that. 

I'm going to do a video on this gun. I will probably have to do a scripted voiceover for some of it, because me just yammering on about it won't really capture what I'm trying to say about it. But I will say this, if you have the means and desire, getting a gun worked over by LTT seems very worth it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Langdon Tactical HK P30

One of my good friends let me borrow his LTT tuned HK P30. I have never been the biggest fan of the P30, but it is certainly a decent gun. M...