Wednesday, January 31, 2024

All The Pistol Draw Mistakes

 Issues observed in recent weapon draw practice:

1. Ducking/turtling head

This one is obvious. The more the student moves their head, the less consistent their draw, slower speed to first aimed shot, and reduced accuracy downrange.

2. Scoop draws, various

I saw 3 different variants of scoop, to include one student scooping their hand low before ever getting to the holster. So I'd classify them as early scoop, mid scoop, and late scoop. None of them are efficient.

3. Two step holster retention

Several students using their thumb only to defeat retention with the remainder of their fingers nowhere near the grip.

4. Robotic movements

Students having hitches at various points in their draw, to include outright hesitations.

5. Hands coming together late (playing cymbals)

Rather than getting hands together at step 3, several students were getting the gun almost all the way out and then putting their support hand on the gun.

6. Adding extraneous motion(s)

If 4 steps to draw is good, 5, 6, or 7 must be better. Plus mo' tactical.

7. Low intensity of practice

Several were just going through the motions, i.e. I was told to do this and I'm doing it, with no real thought to why I'm doing it or that it could save my life.

8. Starting with hand already on gun

Apparently they're going to walk around all day with hand on gun rather than in field interview.

9. Slamming to a halt at the conclusion of the draw (punch that gun out!)

Nobody ever sees their sights or gets accurate shots if they slam to a halt at the end.

10. Changing stance/squatting during draw (poop stance)

Comedic and slow.

11. Fishing

I saw a lot less of this than I normally see, but there is always at least one representative of the fishing clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Langdon Tactical HK P30

One of my good friends let me borrow his LTT tuned HK P30. I have never been the biggest fan of the P30, but it is certainly a decent gun. M...