Sunday, October 16, 2022

But I want all the upgrades!!!!!

I see a lot of posts on various groups asking about upgrades to Glocks. The problem, as always, is that people see some really cool looking stuff, and they want to have the same. Of course, if you are never going to shoot it or carry it for self defense, then you can certainly do all sorts of cosmetic upgrades, as well as anything else your heart desires.

The problem comes when you actually want to use the gun. Even if it is just for casual shooting or plinking, at some point upgrades can interfere with reliability. I've seen guns choke due to poor choices when it comes to recoil spring assemblies, firing pin springs, and trigger setups. If you don't mind and you like projects, then maybe none of this is a concern for you.

For a gun that I'm going to carry for real social purposes, I tend to limit my upgrades to the following:

  1. Sights/Optics
  2. Grip/Grip enhancements
  3. Striker Control Device
  4. Slide Stop/Slide Release
  5. Minus Connector

Of course, if you are competing with it, then you'll probably want to consider, at a minimum:

  1. Trigger Spring Change
  2. Striker Spring Change
  3. Trigger Bar/Shoe/Setup
  4. Magazine Well
  5. Aftermarket barrel/compensator

And if you want to spend some real cash:

  • Slide cuts/lightening setup

Any cosmetic stuff that could be used in court should be strenuously avoided. Punisher backplates, etc., should definitely not be on a work or social gun.

No matter what, consider that any change made away from the original design will alter parameters of the gun's function. Maybe for good, maybe for neutral, and maybe for bad. Any change should be tested thoroughly before depending on it. Maybe you don't agree with my list regarding what I categorize as carry vs. competition. That's totally cool and at some point I may change my mind on some of it, but I tend to be somewhat conservative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Langdon Tactical HK P30

One of my good friends let me borrow his LTT tuned HK P30. I have never been the biggest fan of the P30, but it is certainly a decent gun. M...